Friday, March 14, 2008

A daily ray of hope

Some more inspiration I'd like to share with you if you need some:
If you sign up for it (link) The Sierra Club will send you a "daily ray of hope" which is a thoughtful photo and a thoughtful quote in the way of hope for the earth and we its inhabitants. For instance here is today's:



Me: I love bears. Teddy bear picnic, the dump bears in the U.P., the bears in Yellowstone that we fed marshmallows through the window of our 57 Impala when we 'saw the USA in our Chevrolet'. I remember the day I realized that if I live an average span, then the polar bears as a race of unique beings were going to go extinct in my lifetime. Because of my love of comfort.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
-- Henry Beston


Me: Henry Beston wrote a classic gardening/philosophy book, which I love to re-read, "Herbs and the Earth". Find a copy.

1 comment:

bs said...

oh! that's one of my favorite quotes in the world. i'll have to check out "herbs and the earth". i've been meaning to read "the outermost house" for years since i found that quote, but they cut out my favorite part! it continues, "They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth."

i always think of that "other nations" bit, when i'm negotiating something with the cats. you have a great blog. thanks for inviting me to come and find it!