Thursday, May 08, 2008

stepping stones and checkered lilies

I made this one in Norma's community ed class. The next one will be better.

I earned this one a couple of years ago. Whoa, now that I look at the photo I see I should have taken a whisk broom to it before our photo shoot.

Fritillarias - these little checkered lilies, what some call guinea hen flowers, grow for me. And the sow themselves everywhere, sometimes with white flowers. The big impressive stinky Frits that I'd love to grow last one year and die. Why is that?

With a closer look you can see the checkered pattern in the petals:

2 comments:

ferne said...

I love the stepping stone you made! Very artistic and a compliment to your garden. I love the checkered lillies too and have planted them a few times, but never got them to even come up so I guess they are tempermental.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how beautiful that last flower is! I've never seen anything quite like it. I love checks!
Brenda