Thursday, May 22, 2008

plantlings

Three Umbelliferae (what is the plural?) in a row. Big: Angelica archangelica, a self-sowing biennial great-big herb. Needs an adequately watered spot.


Smaller: Sweet cicely, Myrrhis odorata, one of my favorite spring herbs for its tasty leaves and seeds. I'd call it a short lived perennial in the situation where I have it planted, so I watch for seedlings to coddle.


... and little Chervil, Anthriscus cerefolium. A biennial that sets seeds early. The plant dies off in the summer so you must leave some ripening seed. A lesson in not being too tidy. The seedlings appear later in the summer or early fall, staying green all winter.


Some kind of a yellow and green variegated Artemisia that I picked up last year at a yard sale, family Compositae.


Ginkgo biloba, a whip when I planted it, now it's as tall as me, a small tree. Patience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the herbs. I have to watch about being impatient. I killed off two huge Boston ferns earlier this spring by cutting them completely back. I thought the roots would take over. I was wrong.
Brenda

Aiyana said...

What a garden! Yum Yum.
Aiyana