Friday, February 15, 2008

More seeds

The seeds at the nearby big box go on sale as soon as they are put out. So while I was a Meijers I bought some more seeds:
Dutch Corn Salad Valerianella locusta(which we call Mache)Livingston Seed Co.
Mustard (Mizuna)LSCo.
Roquette (Arugula) NK
Kale 'Dwarf Blue Curled Vates' NK
Mustard Spinach 'Tendergreen' NK
Swiss Chard 'Rhubarb' NK
Dill 'Dukat' NK
and Cilantro 'Longstanding' NK

Looks like I need a nice fresh green salad. Pat Whetham's organic gardening workshops begin this weekend (though I start next Friday), which seems to me a sign of spring, even though the temps are supposed to plunge again tonight. I get cabin fever most when I hear the furnace running so darn much. You can live in Michigan without air conditioning - I did for the first fifty years of my life. But we do need heat. I can't imagine what poor people are doing, mothers with little children in drafty rental housing and seniors, who if they can afford it, crank it up to 82 degrees.
Wouldn't you think the generous politicians who are sending checks for $1,200 to couples who make $149,999 "to stimulate the economy" could have found it in their hearts to vote for heat for the poor? Or extending unemployment benefits?
Don't let me get started, this is the happy blog.

No comments: