Thursday, February 04, 2010

Borrowed snips are better than none

Say, howdya like my nifty new digs? About time, you say?

I've been playing around at cleaning out old computer files lately, in lieu of getting any real work done. Years ago, when I edited the newsletter for our local herb society (in the hands on days of cutting and pasting with real scissors and actual glue) I got into the habit of saving every interesting scrap of information. It gets to be a pack-ratty sort of habit, though, the result being that in these quieter days I have mountains of useless information to keep me busy.
Lacking all other inspiration, I'll be posting some snippets from my piles along with more of the endless supply of garden-y quotations from smarter than me folks that you may have noticed lately.
Shall we begin?

Torn from the pages of the biggest tool in America, Parade Magazine, advertising copy (note the charming use of the mitigating word MAY to obfuscate any health claims for the herbs they are selling you):
McCormick Spices For Health
Seven Super Spices (Have you noticed this campaign?)
"great sources of flavor as well as concentrated sources of natural antioxidants."
McC has developed 1/2 teaspoon recipes. "is there anything better than adding a favorite ingredient that may also support your health?"
& in another ad:
Oregano
1/4 t. add to a grilled cheese sandwich.
Ground Cinnamon (1 t. as many antioxidants as 1/2 cup of blueberries)
1/4 t. sprinkle on oatmeal.
Ground Ginger
a dash - add to cooked carrots, winter squash, or sweet potatoes
Crushed Red Peppers, Ground Paprika
1/4 t. add to hummus or guacamole
Rosemary
mix with olive oil and sea salt to dress ready to bake rolls
Thyme
1/4 t. stir into soup
Turmeric
sprinkle on steamed rice (add peas and carrots)

After looking at their list, I see I grow 4 (and sometimes 5, when I'm growing ginger in a pot) out of the seven.

I cut this from the back of an Alessi instant soup mix bag. First, let me clarify that Herb bought the soup, I'd never buy a package of instant soup; and second, how does a five word sentence translate into all of that verbiage? Ah, advertisers, how you do judge your public:
"People today eat soup for different reasons than they did yester year. Once considered an inexpensive meal for the poor, soup has become popular among the health conscious consumers of today. There is a saying about soups in Southern Italy that states, "Sette cose fa la zupa" which (loosely) translates to "Soup does seven things, it relieves your hunger, quenches your thirst, fills your stomach, cleans your teeth, makes you sleep, helps you digest and colors your cheeks."

I think I'll try to memorize these seven virtues of soup.

No comments: