Saturday, February 06, 2010

In the spirit

True to my last caution about sources, this snippet came from someone I jotted down as "Rita".
Not that I can't come up with all of this myself, but ... from someone else, if only from a vague formless miasma from the past, it seems so much more authentic.

Herbs and Wine
If you ever have a half a bottle of wine left over from a party, add some herbs to it and keep it in the refrigerator for use in cooking.
Use as a reduction sauce, in marinade, or to flavor stew or Italian style tomato sauce. For best results, use within a few weeks.

Herbs for red wine:
basil, bay, chives, garlic, lovage, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme.
Herbs for white wine:
bay, chervil, lavender, lemon balm, lemon verbena, lovage, savory, tarragon, thyme.

Rita's Tonic
Steep a couple handfuls of fresh rosemary sprigs in a bottle of red wine for 4 days; serve as a cordial. Or float 1 or 2 sprigs in a glass of wine for 1 hour. Rosemary’s healthful properties include taming headaches and tummies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like cooking with herbs, and cooking with wine, but I don't think I want to DRINK herbs in my wine. With the exception of spices in mulled wine, of course. Hope that doesn't get my membership in the herb and wine fans of the world club. LOL!