Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dealing with the Plethora, III

Zucchini for lunch?
Here's a great recipe for a zucchini bread that I love to eat spread with peanut butter. The added sunflower nuts (shelled seeds) make it special. For many years I made your typical zucchini bread with walnuts or occasionally with raisins, but I like this better!

(I started posting this yesterday, along with the other zuke recipes ... but then K and A arrived, and we went off to play. The girls loved sandwiches made with this bread. They spread their own peanut butter and jam, to the PB&Jelly song ... what fun!)

(Warning! A (gasp!) Political Note on my 'happy talk' blog:
I also appreciate the fact that this recipe calls for sunflower oil, a healthy alternative to the Genetically Modified - sourced oils such as soy, corn and canola that I no longer use. I believe in voting with my wallet, which is why I don't shop at Wallymart or eat at fast food chain restaurants. So kill me.)

Sunflower Zucchini Bread
Source: Country Living Gardener magazine (1993)

1 3/4 cup unsifted flour (I use spelt when I have it)
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup hulled sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raisins
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/2 cup sunflower oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups shredded zucchini

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a loaf pan (I use a minimal amount of shortening to stick wax paper to line my loaf pans. Never have a problem with sticking.)

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine dry ingredients, then stir in peel, raisins and sunflower nuts.
In a separate measuring cup combine the shredded zucchini with the wet ingredients.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just incorporated.
Spread batter into the loaf pan and bake 55-60 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean.

Cool bread in pan for at least 10 minutes, then on wire rack until cool.
Enjoy.

5 comments:

I'm So Pretty said...

sounds WONDERFUL!!! Can't wait to make this!!

RN in Shaftsburg said...

so glad you are back!!!! (on the blog) I like the recipe for the fritters.Hey how about all of the food producers droping the "partially hydrogenated oils" that are slowly killing us ? I'll vote for that.

Jan Marie said...

I enjoy your blog but I was shocked to finally realize you are in Grand Blanc!!! So am I!!! South of Warwick on Saginaw Rd.

Stop by and visit my garden blog http://thegardensofgearacres.blogspot.com/

or my home and kitchen blogs!!!

That fence looks familiar. Are you located in town?

Jan

Betsy said...

Hi Pretty,
Did you try the bread yet? I still have a few zukes in the fridge and will probably make some more. Thankfully, we are apres le deluge.
I was about ready to dress up some of the larger as kittens and take them to the humane society after hours in a cardboard box.
Mew, we need a home :)

Hi RN,
Yep, 'specially that hydrogenated peanut butter! Doesn't even taste like peanuts.

Hi Jan,
Aren't the mosquitos a B*#$! this year? I hate to admit I've resorted to spraying myself with chemicals this year, just to go out and deadhead my plants. We're out Perry Road towards Atlas in a very old subdivision. I love reading local blogs, and I recommend ALL of yours to anyone reading this.

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read the article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.